A Tuition Exchange Grant Opportunity (TEGO) is a grant established by the Board of Directors of the Tuition Exchange Program for low-income families. The grant amount is a maximum of $10,000, or $2,500 a year for up to four years. It is a supplement to Tuition Exchange (TE) Scholarships and can be used for tuition and non-tuition items associated with the cost of attendance at a college or university. The TEGO scholarship will be paid directly to the institution awarding the basic TE scholarship. Existing TE scholars and prospective scholars are eligible.
To be considered for a TEGO scholarship the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) towards the cost of attending college must be $15,000 or less. As a guideline families with combined incomes of $75,000 - $80,000 or less are most likely eligible.
To be considered, the following is necessary:
- Your child must be admitted to the TEP institution chosen and certified as a candidate for a TE scholarship.
- The EFC towards the cost of attendance must be $15,000 or less. This can be determined from your most recent tax return using calculators at www.finaid.org . The result will be a Student Financial Aid Report stating the EFC.
- The EFC report is due to the Office of the Provost by October 31 the year prior of the proposed Fall attendance, i.e., if an employee’s dependent child will attend Fall of 2018 the EFC report is due by October 31, 2017. Employee seniority and the EFC amount will be used to select the final nominee if there are two or more prospective nominees.
Once nominated by UF, candidates will be contacted directly by Tuition Exchange (TE) Central to submit the following:
- academic credentials,
- list of non-academic activities/community service, and
- a short candidate’s statement.
Credentials will be verified by TE Central by checking with the importing school. A panel from Tuition Exchange in the Washington, D.C. home office will select the finalists.
For further information or questions please call 352-392-4792 or e-mail UFTEP@aa.ufl.edu.